{Tutorial} Paper Pumpkins

When I first told my friends I was setting out to make a fabulous paper pumpkin, the idea did not seem to astound them as I thought it should. I could see the vision and wondered why their response was so unenthusiastic. I suppose paper has a narrow reputation. People consider it to be a two-dimensional medium containing limited capabilities. I am here to expand that reputation and shed some light on the full capabilities of paper craft potential! Okay, so I'm not going so far as to start an official movement, but I aim to give credit where credit is due. And paper does not get enough credit!

WB 040

So enter my 3D paper pumpkins. Pick out some pretty paper, add a little Mod Podge, throw on some good old Rock n' Roll twist music, and voila! Magical paper pumpkins.

Supplies:

• Scrapbook paper in shades of brown

WB 058

• Scrapbook paper in coordinating designs

WB 062

• Original Mod Podge (matte finish)

WB 092

• Hot glue gun, wire cutter & wire pliers

WB 105

• Floral wire

WB 100

To make the pumpkin stem, cut strips of brown paper (I used Basic Grey Paper Pack in Basic Kraft) into 2 to 3 inch strips. Cover strip on both sides with Mod Podge and twist paper into a stick. Make sure paper is twisted tight, and not just rolled up. It should not be a hollow tube. Make several sticks, in alternating colors and widths, and allow to dry. Trim sticks to desired length (slightly shorter than your pumpkin will be tall) and glue several of them together to create a stalk.

WB 086

Cut coordinating papers into one inch strips. I used Basic Grey Paper Pack in Capella. Dip a strip into Mod Podge to cover completely, and remove excess. Twist the piece into a tight stick, taking care not to rip the paper, or leave it hollow. Place onto non stick surface to dry. Repeat with more paper strips.

WB 068  WB 073

When mostly dry (as early as 20 minutes) bend each paper stick into a "C" shape and hot glue onto the stem starting about an inch down from the top, and ending by slightly overlapping the bottom. Attach paper strips one by one, shaping them as you go. Eventually the paper sticks will completely cover the bottom of the stem, and accumulate several layers to add dimension to the project. Continue until your pumpkin is the size and shape you want.

WB 050

Cut paper into very thin strips (about ⅛ in.) and cover with Mod Podge. Wind paper around floral wire to fully cover, and allow to dry. Use round nose pliers to bend into tendrils. You can also coil the wire around a pencil, but I find this to make the curls a bit too perfect. I like to keep things a little messy and inconsistent. Glue the tendrils close to the stem, and arrange them as you wish.

WB 309

And you're done! Yes, I'll admit that this can be a tedious process, but isn't it worth it in the end?

WB 289

Here's a few tips I found helpful along the way:

• Wear latex gloves when Mod Podging (it helps keep things moving faster).
  • Try to be in a time and place free from interruptions, because it's hard to respond with your hands covered in a gooey mess!
  • Wrap your TV remote and phone in plastic wrap before beginning (for obvious reasons), you should have seen my husband's face.

Comments

1. Gwen @ Gwenny Penny says

This is seriously amazing. I do not have the patience. I'm in complete awe of this project. It looks phenomenal. Nice work!

2. [email protected] says

These are super cute. wonder if you could do this with newspaper and then spraypaint??

3. Krystal says

These are so beautiful! I HAVE to make one. I think I'll try doing a great big one. Do you think it will work? I'm featuring this post on my blog if you'd like to check it out. (Friday)
    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Krystal
    sassysanctuary.blogspot.com

4. Rose :: FineCraftGuild.com says

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
    So, let me ask you to join in, AS WE ARE REALLY KEEN ON PROMOTING RECYCLED ART:

Come link up your tutorial article on our website & our readers can find you also: http://www.finecraftguild.com/diy-tutorial-linky-party-16/

We'd love to show your work,
    Rose

ps when you 'follow the rules' and create a link back from your website/article, you can easily find us again and come back week after week with new craft DIY tutorials.

5. Sihui says

Wow, these are the coolest things I've seen for Halloween tutorials so far! I'd love to share it with my readers if that is ok with you :]

6. Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming says

Oh My – This is simply fabulous! I love the txture and the unique look. So creative and clever. Hope you are enjoying your weekend! ~ Stephanie Lynn

7. Natalie @ Perrys' Plate says

Finally something new to do with the stash of paper I have! (I hate scrapbooking, but I'm addicted to paper) Love this idea!

8. Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures says

This is so awesome. The possibilities of paper and Mod Podge seem endless now. THis is my favorite pumpkin craft I have ever seen. I saw you featured at Ucreate.

9. Patsy says

This is absolutely precious. You are really talented. Thanks for sharing. I think this is going on my to do list.

10. Erin @ Crafts and Sutch says

Stopping by to let you know I featured this over at Crafts & Sutch. Please stop by and take a peek when you get a chance and grab a featured button too! :)

Thanks so much for sharing! Have a wonderful week!
    Erin :)

11. Gay Vaughan says

Thank you Emily for sharing these and your awesome tutorial. I have featured them in my wrap-up!
    ~Gay~
    itsahodgepodgelife.blogspot.com

12. [email protected] says

Wow, those are incredible! I just clicked over from Ucreate where they caught my eye. I would love to link to them if you didn't mind.

13. Michelle@Somedaycrafts says

This is amazing! I love them. I am featuring them at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

14. Emily says

@Green Willow Pond – I did not make the whole pumpkin in one sitting, but I'm embarrassed to say I think the hours I ended up putting into them were no longer in single digits. :)

@Spark*Amy – Ha ha! I have four kids and a husband who works 24/7, but I magically found a whole segment of uninterrupted time that often goes unseen: It's called NIGHT. Who needs sleep when you're making something fabulous? :)

1. [...] I love a good paper crafting project. It never ceases to amaze me what a versatile medium it is and how many different techniques you can use with it. Would you believe that Heather from Whipperberry made these 3D paper pumpkins out of paper and wire? True story! You can make them using all of those pretty scraps of paper you've been saving that were left over from other projects (you know you have 'em!) or even dig into the recycling bin and use old newspapers or other odds and ends of junk paper as your materials. Everybody will be quite impressed to learn that you created these treasures out of trash! [how to make 3D paper pumpkins] [...]

2. [...] I love a good paper crafting project. It never ceases to amaze me what a versatile medium it is and how many different techniques you can use with it. Would you believe that Heather from Whipperberry made these 3D paper pumpkins out of paper and wire? True story! You can make them using all of those pretty scraps of paper you’ve been saving that were left over from other projects (you know you have ‘em!) or even dig into the recycling bin and use old newspapers or other odds and ends of junk paper as your materials. Everybody will be quite impressed to learn that you created these treasures out of trash! [how to make 3D paper pumpkins] [...]