{Tutorial} Red Burlap Wreath

WB_089[16]

I have been so impressed with some of the beautiful, yet simple, wreaths out in blog land.  So…I thought I must make one of my own.  I decided that my material of choice would be…

WB_009[13]-2

…you guessed it, burlap.  I know, I know.  I just love the stuff.

What you will need is…

• Burlap (the amount varies depending on the size of your wreath base.  I used about 1 1/2 yards.)
  • Wreath base (I used a 12 inch ring)
  • Hot glue
  • Spray paint to match the color of your burlap.

1.  I spray painted the ring red so that the overall color of the wreath would be uniform.  If you leave it white there is a chance the white will show through the burlap.

{Funny story…notice the tape?  I broke the wreath when I gently  tossed it on the ground to paint it.  Be careful, those joints break easily!!}

WB_064[4]2-

2.  Cut burlap into 5 inch squares.

WB_067[4]2

3.  Fold burlap  in half and then in half again.

WB_069[4]-

4.  Holding the folded corner, round off the top of the square.

WB_071[4]-

Your burlap will then look like this…

WB_074[4]-

5.  Grab the center of the burlap and gather to look like a flower.

WB_075[4]--

6.  Snip off the folded point of the flower.

WB_078[7]--  WB_081[6]-

7.  Apply hot glue to the tip. {Don’t you just love the red fingers?}

WB_083[4]--

8.  Glue to the wreath base.

WB_085[4]--

9.  Repeat until your base is fully covered and looks like this:

WB_089[16]

Now I have something lovely to put on my door for Valentine’s Day!! (Shhhh! It’s good for Christmas too.)

{Update}  Many people have been wondering where I purchased the red burlap.  I found mine at Hobby Lobby.  Sorry Vegas friends…I bought what was left on the bolt!

Signature_edited-1WhipperBerryLogo

Comments

1. This is me! says

I LOVE RED BURLAP TOO! I have some leftover from Christmas, and I've been looking for the perfect wreath for my front door! I'm off to Hobby Lobby to get the foam wreath!
    Thanks!

2. Gay Vaughan says

Thanks for linking to my party! Just thought I would let you know this is great and you are a Superstar! Featured this!
    ~Gay~
    itsahodgepodgelife.blogspot.com

3. Rebekah says

I just wanted to tell you that you inspired me to make one of these beautiful red burlap wreaths! I used a 12" heart wreath form, and put it on our front door for Valentine's day! Thanks for the idea!

4. Jasey says

Where in the world did you find red burlap? Beautiful!

Happy Day,
    Jasey @ Crazy Daisy
    crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com

5. Lorena says

found you via pinterest. LOVE LOVE LOVE this wreath, it really took something simple and ordinary (burlap) and created something stunning and beautiful that I would definately fit in with my style! I thank you humbly for this great picture tutorial for clumsy DIY’ers like I.

I love the red burlap and the tutorial. I so want to do this!

I’d love to invite you to share this project at my Thingamajig Thursday party going on now.

Alida
    radcrafter.com

This is the most wonderful idea ~~!!~~ I live in the country and this would really brighten anyone’s day. Thank you & Kisses to you Heather for sharring this ~!~

LOVE this! I have hard time finding the red as well in our area. Making this version. Isn’t burlap awesome!?!
    Come check out mine :)
    JoAnn
    sweetpepperrose.blogspot.com

9. celia says

Making this tonight. Got my red burlap & ready to go. Have you ever used a pipe insulator for your base? You buy them at Home Depot or Lowes. They cost less than $2 and they are 6′ long. Cut it the length you want then duct tape ends together to form circle. Much cheaper & you can make several from one pipe insulator.

I am standing in Joanns right now and they have burlap in red, green, white and black. Just thought people here might want to know :). Thanks for the tutorial!

11. Carolyn says

Am getting ready to do this same wreath but in natural colored Burlap and madras plaid placed throughout. I’ll post a pic when I’m done. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Carolyn