{Tutorial} DIY Weathered Wood Sign

Sarah and I have been madly working on a fun project that I am hoping to finish and show you within the next couple weeks. We have been dressing up a workout room in her house!!  (For more about Sarah, our new WhipperChick and current contestant on The Biggest Loser, click here.)

One of the design elements is a weathered wood sign made out of an old pallet. Pallets are perfect for creating weathered wood elements!!

This is a quote that Sarah came up with while on the “Ranch”, working with Kara—one of the new trainers.  Kara challenged each of her team members to come up with an inspiring quote that they could hang on the wall of their workout space to motivate them. This was Sarah’s quote!  Isn’t it GREAT?!!

To make the board I took apart an old pallet…

…and rebuilt it with the slats closer together.  The wood was very weathered and cracked in places, but I kind-of liked it that way.  It added to the overall “look” I was going for.  My sweet husband helped put it together.  I have to admit, I have a bit of a phobia of working with power tools.  I’m in a twelve step program and hope to overcome that soon {wink, wink}.

When Sarah first arrived on the Biggest Loser Ranch, her (and her sweet mom) made up the pink team, so Sarah wanted something in her new work-out room to be pink, showing her team pride.

With the sign already being weathered so beautifully I didn’t want to completely paint over the wood, so I took some pink acrylic paint and watered it down quite a bit before painting  it on.  After the wood dried completely, I sanded it a bit to roughen up the finish.

Next, I busted out my Silhouette to create a vinyl negative to stencil the words on the sign.  Can I just say how much I love my Silhouette?! In true Ellie G style I’ve named her Sophie! We have become rather close since she moved in a few months ago.

To create a vinyl negative, you cut the word or image, then take the letters out and leave the “negative” image.  I placed that on my board…

…and then carefully stenciled the letters using a quick up and down motion (not a typical brush stroke) with white acrylic paint.

I removed the vinyl and had a perfect stenciled image!!

I finished the quote and ended up with this lovely sign. I can’t wait to show you how it looks in Sarah’s room.

Isn’t it an amazing quote?  Well, Sarah is just amazing like that!!

Linking to:

Comments

1. Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} says

I *love* pallet projects! This is fabulous! A great quote and a great painting technique.

2. Courtney - Pizzazzerie.com says

Scrumptious Swirls sent me over because I'm doing a silhouette giveaway right now and she mentioned you used a Silhouette! I love it – I'm obsessed with mine now – so I will surely have to make something cute like this!

3. K.T. says

I love the Biggest Loser and enjoyed watching Sarah on it. She is such a strong girl inside & out. Love the quote & the sign.

4. Prairie Patch says

I love this!! I have some pallets in my backyard. Once the 3 feet of snow melts on them, I'll make a cute, weathered sign.

Thanks for sharing this great idea!

Tracy All Thumbs Crafts

5. Butterscotch Caramel says

Very nice. Just the thing for all the pallets my husband has at his work. I'll give it a try.
    Laurie

6. http://sassandfrasscrafts.blogspot.com/ says

Love it. I eyed some pallets on the side of the road today. I think I may just go back and get them. ;)
    Tess

7. The Hip Hostess says

This is exactly the project I've had in mind for awhile, but wasn't quite sure how to add lettering. Thanks so much for the how to!

8. [email protected] says

Oh yeah – there has been a pallet in the ditch on my street for half a year now. I think it is time I picked it up.

Thanks for sharing – this is awesome!! Love the quote too.

9. Olha o que eu fiz... says

Adorable work, thanks a lot to share, and deep words of wisdom…
    I took the liberty to post it in my Face with the link to your page. If by any chance it bothers you in any way, just say a word and I'll remove it.

Warn regards all the way from Brasil

10. Karen@SimpleBlue says

I have wanted to make a very large weathered frame out of an old pallet. This makes me confident it will turn out nicely. Thanks!

11. Tammy @ Type A says

i'm so glad you shared this at my party, thanks. i need a silhouette, you can maks such cool stuff.

12. Cherie@DragonfliezCreationz says

very Inspiring! I love it so, the quote is now up on my white board in my office! Thanks

13. maggie@midwesternsewinggirl says

Oh, I just love this…and I ADORE the pink. Off to find some old pallets…;) and to name my Silhouette…;)

14. Rhinestone Beagle says

Great idea. I love the rustic old wood with the formal lettering. Very chic. ;) Thanks for linking up. Can't wait to see what you have for next week.

15. Haley K says

fantastic idea! Imagine the possibilities of quotes you could use… I do love the one Sarah made up though! She is a rock :)

16. Michell @Girl in Air says

Perfect!!! I have a couple of pallets just calling my name..now I know what to do with them:-)

17. Farmer's Wyfe says

That is just SOOO fantastic: the whole thing: the saying, the sign, the lettering, the colors. Just great!!! :)

18. Michelle@Somedaycrafts says

Very cool sign! I love how the words are split between slats and not just on one. It looks really cool. I'm Sarah and her mom got voted off already. I loved them both!!!! I'm featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com.

19. Allison {A Glimpse Inside} says

That looks fantastic! And that quote is very true! Hope it continues to inspire Sarah! Thanks for linking this up as well!

20. [email protected] says

I love it! super job!

gail

21. Funky Junk Interiors says

Adorable sign! And I love how you made it out of pallets too. Very cool AND for a very nice cause. :)

Donna

22. Jenny @ Faith and Pearl says

This is awesome! What a great inspiring quote. Ok, I MUST have a Silhouette…I know I probably mispelled that.:)

Thanks for sharing!