How to Package your Homemade Vanilla

Now that we've all had a chance to get our Homemade Vanilla project started… It's time to start dressing up our bottles to get them ready to give as gifts in a few weeks. {yes, the holiday season is NOT that far away!}

First, The bottle. I decided on recycling some single serving 187ml wine bottles that I got on sale at my local grocery store for $1.00 a bottle. Now, that was a deal that I couldn't pass up so…

if you find something like that, take advantage. All you need to do is sanitize the bottles in the dishwasher and they are good to go.  If you can't find any bottles like that you can always order them online or many retailers like Ikea, The Container Store and such have 8oz. bottles available for sale.  Here are a few online options…

{click on the bottle images to visit each site}

Once you've selected your bottle then you need to get your labels ready.  This is the FUN part!!  Download the free printable label that I created for you…

{click on the image to download for your very own personal use!}

Now, you have a couple of choices

• ~You can print the label on regular light weight paper and then glue to the bottle.  Simple, easy, straight forward.
  • ~You can take it to the next level and print it on white self adhesive label paper, like this kind from Avery. Cut the labels out and carefully place on the bottle. Again, pretty easy!
  • ~For a simply stunning presentation you can print the label directly onto some plain fabric and then affix to the bottle with spray adhesive. This is my FAVORITE method!!

My fabric of choice is a simple crinoline.  Not only is it elegant, but the sheerness of the fabric lends to a fun presentation if you choose to leave the vanilla beans in the bottle.  Any light weight fabric will work for this application as long as it is light in color and light enough to go through the printer.

Here is how you print on the fabric…

• ~Cut your fabric to 8.5 x 11
  • ~Spray a piece of card stock with spray adhesive {I use Elmers Craft Bond}
  • ~Quickly affix the fabric to the card stock
  • ~Make sure your printer settings are set for heavy weight paper and for a high quality print
  • ~Run the fabric affixed to the card stock through the printer
  • ~Give it a second to dry and then gently pull the fabric off of the card stock
  • ~You'll be surprised {well, at least I was} but the fabric really is only a little tacky after that

Now, all you have to do is cut out your label, fray the edges, spray with Elmers Craft Bond and carefully affix to the bottle. That's it!

All that's left to do is to dress up the bottle.  I used some sealing wax and a wax sealing stamp to add the fun red wax element to the lid of the bottle.

I then tied some Divine Twine around the neck of the bottle and added a vintage looking pin. Simple and sweet!  I know that if someone showed up on my doorstep with a goodie like this I would be thrilled!!

Let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to help!!

Comments

I absolutely love this! I went to my local grocery store and seen that it’s 12.99 for one vanilla bean! I think I’m going to look into the website you had a link to. Thanks for the printable.

I’ve been looking forward to your packaging post. The bottles look simple but classy. And the fabric is a beautiful touch! I’m going to give it a shot.

Thanks so much for the ideas and the printables!

Hi Heather,

I’m one of your blog lurker, but had to say thank you for these beautiful labels and the fantastic tutorial along with the great gift giving idea.

Thanks again, Lori m

Oh my Heather, these are the most gorgeous bottles I have ever seen. I always make my own vanilla and my bottles never look as gorgeous as this.

5. Nick says

So I’m new to this craft thing, but I think this looks like a great idea. Where can I find this type of fabric? You’ve done a great job of finding all the other items I need. Thanks so much.

You’re kidding me! Are you seriously THIS amazing? I am DYING over those labels. I’m not kidding Heather….I would love to be in your brain for just a few minutes! Awesome. As always!

7. Tammy says

I’ve got some vanilla that has been ‘marinating’ since early summer that I’m using for Christmas gifts. I purchased my vanilla beans on line, buying them in the grocery store is so out of the question! I love your vodka tag and look forward to embellishing my jars with that. Thank you for sharing.

8. Samantha says

YAY! I’ve been stalking you (gently) waiting for this part…. My sister & I are doing this together (woo hoo — sister bonding!) and our beans arrived today! :-D

LOVE THIS!!!! Ordered my vanilla beans today and working on drinking those mini bottles of wine JK… seriously… Thx for setting the theme for my holiday gifts this year! Every year one “thing” kinda inpsires and sets the “tone” for my holiday gifts and yours is it <3

10. Jenny says

I love these! I had pinned someone else’s how to make vanilla…but yours is much prettier! I just ordered 10 vanilla beans from Beanilla Trading Co. Could you tell me whether or not you used 1 bean (since you said you cut them in half) for one jar or 1 cup. Basically I’m wondering if I can get 10 jars worth out of my ten beans? Thanks!

This is a wonderful gift idea! I have some vanilla brewing right now and I think I will have to bottle it up for gifts! I love the idea and rustic look of printing on fabric.

We made homemade vodka for gifts last year and plan on doing it again this year. I love, love, love this fabric label idea!!! I’m totally stealing it for this years bottles. :o)

13. cessnabmw says

Wow!! Amazing!!

What program did you use to make the labels? I really like the swirly lines and wanted to do something similar for another project…

Thanks!

Thanks so much! I used a combination of Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop to create the tags along with the Adios Script font. Can’t wait to see what you are working on!!
      kisses
      heather

14. Cheryl Schuch says

Heather,

These labels are absolutely gorgeous–I will absolutely use this idea! One other method for printing on fabric is to use freezer paper: if you put the shiny side down on the back of the fabric and dry iron on medium, the freezer paper will stick. After you run it through the printer, it just peels right off.

Thanks Cheryl!
      I’ve actually used both methods and have found that the card stock method actually works best for me. When I used the freezer paper method I was having paper jamming issues. Thanks for the suggestion though!!
      kisses
      heather

15. Melissa says

THANK YOU so much for this creative idea! I am wrapping up 10 finished bottles right now – the labels are the perfect touch. I would like to pass on a tip that worked well for me since the craft bond adhesive and I weren’t working well together on the bottles… Aleene’s “Jewel-It” Embellishing glue. It is made for adhering fabric to glass! I brushed a little under the crinoline and then on top of the frayed edges wiping off excess with a napkin. Perfect!

16. Kirstin Boeken says

I host a craft night at my house and had ladies over last night. We made these!!!!! Can’t wait to see how the vanilla turns out! And the lables were so easy to do in the printer. Thank you so much for sharing!!!!!!

17. Stacy Jacob says

I love this idea…thank you so much for posting. I made the vanilla extract like you said, ordered really nice brown bottles from Amazon and now I am trying to do the packaging…but when I click on the printable labels I get an error message. Is anyone else having this problem? I tried from my home PC and now from my office PC. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if there may be a problem with the link.
    Is there anyway you can email me the file? :)
    [email protected]

Thank you & Merry Christmas to you & your family!

-Stacy Jacob

18. Marisela says

First I’d like to say I’m so glad I came across your page, n I am very anxious to get started! I just cannot find the link to buy the vanilla bean online. Can you please give me the link?

19. Giuliano says

Hi heather, love the way the fabric looks on glass.  Awesome idea!  I used your labels on a few bottles, but would like to personalize the message.  What font did you use?  I do calligraphy, would that be of any help to me?

20. Sheryl Haufler says

Hi,
    I made your labels last year, they came out beautiful but the labels will not stay on the bottle. They keep peeling off easily. I used the Elmer’s spray glue and cleaned the outside of the bottle well so it should of stuck. Any ideas???
    Thank you!
    ~Sheryl

21. Lauren says

Hi! I love your site and was so excited to find your labels for homemade vanilla. I was wondering if you have a smaller version of the printable that might fit 4 oz bottles? Our vanilla is already made and we want a label as beautiful as yours to package for Christmas, but these are just a bit too big. If you can help, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!!!