Hi there Whipperberry friends!
I'm so glad to be back here with you, sharing a warm-up-your-soul kind of meal!
But first I have to ask, how is it that it's January already?! Did it not seem like the holidays just sped by at warp speed? I hope you all had an amazing holiday season…I sure did! But I'm really happy for the fresh feeling that comes with a new year! I love getting back into regular routines, getting my home organized and getting back to good eating habits.
January can feel like a bleak month, especially if you live in the depths of snow and ice! So I like to brighten up these after Christmas winter months with fresh and clean recipes. It just feels good to eat well again after all the treats that get gobbled up during the holidays. So I thought I would share a great recipe with you today.
I stumbled on this recipe in my recipe binder, and decided to make it for lunch for the kids on a snowy afternoon and it was enjoyed by all of them!
This Creamy Corn Bisque is fresh and delicious!
And you can have it on your table in well under an hour! I love quick and healthy meals!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely diced carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- pinch of red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp rice flour (or all purpose flour)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 plus 1 cup corn, canned or frozen
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (see notes)
- 2 tbsp chopped chives for garnish
- In a skillet, melt the butter then add the chopped onion, carrots, celery, thyme and red pepper flakes, then saute until soft.
- Once the vegetables are soft, stir in the rice flour and cook for about 1 minute.
- Then add the chicken broth and 2 cups of the corn, then simmer until the mixture thickens, about 6 minutes.
- Then take the soup and put it into a food processor and puree the soup.
- Once the soup has been pureed, return it to the pan, then add the remaining 1 cup of corn, plus the 1/2 cup of heavy cream.
- Simmer until the soup has warmed all the way through.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve with the chopped chives or green onion for garnish.
- If you want to cut back on calories, this soup is great without the addition of the heavy cream too!
- This soup is completely gluten free if you use rice flour instead of all purpose flour.
- And it also makes a great vegetarian meal if you use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
– – – – – – – –
This bisque is a light meal in itself, or serve it with a side salad and some crusty bread! I hope you enjoy this recipe! We love it!