Recipe /// Black Cherry White Chocolate Cupcake in a Jar

Black Cherry Jell-o Cake copy

This cake, my friends encompasses several of my loves in life all into one perfect little bite. I was known in high school for being a connoisseur of all things black cherry.  Black cherry soda, black cherry ice cream, you name it to this day I LOVE it.  Other loves; Jell-o, white chocolate, white cake & and luscious whipped cream.  Generally you think of all of these ingredients and they don’t normal play nice with each other, but I’m hear to tell you they DO!!

Have you heard of a Jell-o cake or a poke cake?  This is a fun summer treat where you bake a white or vanilla cake,  poke holes in it with a toothpick and pour liquid Jell-o slowly into the cake.  It’s generally made with strawberry Jell-o and then topped with whipped cream or Cool Whip and it’s super yummy.  What I’ve done it incorporated a few new twists on the classic to make something heavenly, here’s what you will need…

WB 156 - Copy copy

Cake

1 box of white or vanilla cake mix

Prepare according to package directions and bake in one of the following methods, 9×13 pan, cupcakes or cupcakes in a jar.  I would steer clear of a layered cake application, because after you add the jell-o this cake is super moist.

Personally, I have fallen in love with the cupcake in a jar! I’ve seen a lot of people baking cupcakes, cutting them up and then adding them to a jar and then topping with frosting.  Did you know that you could bake the cake directly in the jar?

I use the 4 oz. wide mouth jars and I fill the jar up a little over half way to prevent the cake spilling over and causing a big mess.  I also baked the cake a little longer that the normal cupcake time because it is a little bigger than your standard cupcake.  I baked it for a solid 30 minutes.

Jell-o

1 small box of Black Cherry Jell-o

Boil one cup of water and dissolve jell-o in water, stirring mixture for 2 minutes until completely dissolved.  Add one cup of cold water.

With a fork or a toothpick poke holes into cooled caked and gently pour jell-o mixture over the cake.  Refrigerate for at least three hours.

cup cake in a jar 005 copy

Creamy Topping

1 small box of instant white chocolate pudding mix

1 cup of milk

1 container of Cool Whip

Mix instant pudding with milk until completely smooth {I used my trusty Magic Bullet} and then combine with Cool Whip.  Place in piping bag and pipe onto cupcakes or frost your cake with the luscious mixture.

WB 125 - Copy copy

Comments

1. Jocelyn says

ok, now I am craving cupcakes and it isn't even lunch time yet:-) These look great!!! You never cease to amaze me…thanks for the tip on baking the cake IN the jar. I always just drop them in after the fact!!!

2. The Answer Is Chocolate says

Oh my goodness. I haven't even had breakfast yet and these are looking pretty tempting! I adore the way you decorated and displayed the jars and those are some seriously cute jars!

3. Luvin' the Hubs says

Okay, you know that I'm going to have to ask where you snagged thoat adorable glass cloche. Those area absolutely adorable with the mini cupcakes in a jar.

4. Luvin' the Hubs says

5. Simply AJ says

Wow… these little guys look to good to eat! I will have to give this recipe a try. Question – where can we find the adorable jars? Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. AJ

queenofmynest(at)gmail(dot)com
    queenofmynest(dot)blogspot(dot)com

6. Erin says

I love jello cake! The topping on this sounds super yummy And do I even need to mention the presentation…wow! :)

7. Heidi @ Food Doodles says

I've never heard of a cake like that, with the jello, but that looks so cool! Awesome :D And the flavors in these look so delicious, I love cherries too :D

8. Melanie Jumbo says

I don't have those little jars? What do you think can be substitute for those kind of jars that can easily be found at home? I really want to try this one. They look yummy!.

Your  Black Cherry Chocolate Jell-O cake will surely be the top favorite of my kids during this summer. It’s fun to eat and cool. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

They shouldn’t… Mason Jars have been heat tempered so that they can stand up to the hot canning process… so they shouldn’t. I won’t say that they won’t ever crack, but I’m pretty sure they won’t.

kisses

heather

10. Velvetmarmoset says

One batch with white cake cooling and a lemon supreme version in the oven! Special-ordered a selection of jello flavors including apricot and blackberry, since I couldn't find black cherry.

How far in advance do you think I could get away with topping these?  I won't really have time once I get to work, and they're for a work function.  I'm hoping I can do them the night before.

11. Velvetmarmoset says

Ok, I haven't topped them yet but I've learned something already — I definitely want to increase the strength of the jello flavor by leaving out some or all of the cold water, next time around. There just isn't enough flavor, especially in the white cake version.