Christmas Cinnamon Garland

A few years ago my husband and I had the opportunity to take our girls {the little guy wasn’t around then} to Germany and France for the month of December. We couldn’t have planned the timing any better.  Christmas in Europe is something everyone should experience. Wishing that everyone could have the experience without the hefty fees involved, I thought I would create something that will help bring some of the German Christmas spirit into your home.

In the German Christmas markets they sell the most amazing gingerbread cookie creations and I’ve always found the designs so inspiring. I thought it would be fun to create a gingerbread cookie inspired garland to dress the home up for Christmas…

Christmas Cinnamon Garland by Whipperberry

The fun thing about this garland is that it’s made out of the classic cinnamon and apple sauce mixture that just makes your home smell like heaven. Here is what you will need to make this garland for your home…

recipe for cinnamon apple sauce ornaments

Supplies for the Cinnamon Garland

• 4 oz. cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup apple sauce
  • drinking straw
  • Wilton snowflake cookie pan
  • chalk pencil (found in the art supply section)
  • baker’s twine
  • yarn

Instructions

In a bowl, mix the cinnamon and apple sauce into a dough like consistency. If it’s too thin add more cinnamon or vice versa.

how to make cinnamon apple sauce ornaments

Knead the dough together into a ball then pinch off small gumball size pieces and press them into the snowflake cookie pan.

wilton snowflake cookie pan  use a press cookie pan to make cinnamon apple sauce ornaments

Using a drinking straw, place holes into the cinnamon ornaments.  One at the top if you want to use them to decorate the tree or gift box. Two holes if you would like to string them on a garland.

use a straw to place holes in your cinnamon apple sauce ornaments

Place in a 350 degree oven for 2 hours or until completely dry.  Keep and eye on them so they don’t burn.

cinnamon apple sauce christmas ornaments with a press cookie pan

Once they are completely dry, take the white chalk pencil and color in the raised snowflake designs.  This idea was a happy accident when I was trying to figure out the best way to have the cookies look like they have been dusted with powdered sugar. The chalk works PERFECT!!

Chalk on your cinnamon apple sauce ornaments to look like icing\

Next, all you need to do is string it onto the baker’s twine and yarn to make the garland.  I used a red and white baker’s twine along with a solid red yarn for my garland, but you can use whatever you like.

Whipperberry's Sented Cinnamon Garland

Now you can use it to dress up your home for the holidays and not only will it look fantastic, it will make your home smell amazing!

Comments

1. Elizabeth says

Hi Heather,
    This is brilliant! I can’t wait to create this for my home. One question, in the images it looks like you didn’t knot the string around each snowflake and just wove it around the back. How do the snowflakes stay in place?

• Noel says

Mine too! You are not alone. Trying again with Pam cooking spray. Mine also burned, So I’m trying a different temp and time.

Sorry guys!  I didn’t have that issue of them not coming out of the pan!  I will fix the post and say that you should use Pam and hopefully that will solve that problem.  Also, Oven temps very, sorry!

kisses

heather

• Amy says

I rolled some out and used cookie cutters so at least I had a couple to send in for the teachers.

I used the same Wilton pan. However, I used a lower temp and longer cooking time. My husband said I didn’t follow your directions! LOL! When I was at work, he tried. He followed your time and temp, but didn’t use the cooking spray. They stuck again. Tomorrow I will attempt it with Pam.

2. Malissa says

I had the exact same thing happen last weekend! They came out of the oven like cement in the bottom of the pan. I thought about cooking spray but didnt want to chance it so we improvised on the second batch… My girls filled the pan like the directions, but used it as a mold instead. You’ll have to pull a little at one corner, but they come out beautifully! Then I just layed down wax paper and cooked on a cookie sheet at 200 degrees for 2 hours. Turned out perfect! We tied them with bakers twine, used a chalk marker, and included a little poem. Can’t wait to give them to their teachers! I’ll post pictures on my blog this weekend.

Thank you so much for the beautiful inspiration! I love that my kiddos were able to make these with just a little help from me… plus they smell heavenly! They are so cute boxed up right now! :-)

Oh my Malissa, thanks so much for sharing your fabulous idea.  I don’t know why I didn’t have any issues, but other’s  have.  I’ll have to up date this post with your idea. Thanks so much for sharing, I’m sorry you had troubles.

kisses