+ This Sweet and Spicy Port Taco Recipe post brought to you by the lovely folks at Old El Paso +
You guys are in for a treat today! I’m am sharing one of my family’s FAVORITE recipes that I’ve been working hard to perfect over many years and it’s finally ready to share with you, my favorite friends!
I give to you my Sweet & Spicy Pork Taco Recipe! You guys are going to fall in love with how easy this recipe is and then the flavor is going to blow you away. A little back story…
I LOVE slow cooked pork! However, for many many years I TRIED to figure out how to slow cook my pork and I was always disappointed. I would slow cook it for the appropriate time and it would turn out flavorless and no matter what I did, it was always dry and over cooked. At times it would feel like we were eating saw dust, YUCK!
Time after time I would fail. Rather than becoming discouraged, I decided to make it my mission in life to figure out how to make the best pork recipe ever. I didn’t want it just for BBQ, I also love to use it in tacos, rice bowls and salads. I tried different cuts of pork, different cooking methods, different types of cooking vessels and this my friends is the product of my mission. I have come up with the perfect slow cooked recipe and I’ll be sharing that with you in one of our favorite ways to eat it… Sweet and Spicy Pork Tacos!
These tacos are divine! They are little a whole bunch of flavor packed into our new favorite taco shell from Old El Paso™. Have you seen the new Old El Paso™ Bold Spicy Cheddar Flavored Stand ‘n Stuff Taco Shells? They’re tasty and so easy to fill and eat.
We like to stuff them with our favorite slow cooked pork, some pickled red onion and our sneaky pineapple salsa! Here’s how you make it.
Sweet and Spicy Pork Taco Recipe
- 6-8 lb. pork shoulder roast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 tablespoons of Old El Paso Original Taco Seasoning
- 1 whole head of garlic
- 3 tablespoons of chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Pickled Onions
- 2 red onions – thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 packages of Old El Paso Bold Spicy Cheddar Flavored Stand and Stuff Taco Shells
- shredded pork
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- pickled onions
- 1 can pineapple tidbits
- 1 jar of green salsa
- The pork for this recipe can be made in the oven or in a slow-cooker either methods works great. Place a heavy bottomed large pan or dutch oven over high heat and add the olive oil. Let the pan get nice and hot. Generously salt the pork roast on all sides and then place the roast fat side down in the hot pan.
- [url href=”undefined”][img src=”https://whipperberry.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/WhipperBerry-SweetandSpicyPorkTacos-vertical-step1-906×1024.jpg” width=”906″ height=”1024″ class=”aligncenter size-large” title=”WhipperBerry-SweetandSpicyPorkTacos-vertical-step1″][/url]
- Turn the heat down to medium and brown the roast on all sides.
- [url href=”undefined”][img src=”https://whipperberry.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/WhipperBerry-SweetandSpicyPorkTacos-square-step2-1024×1016.jpg” width=”980″ height=”972″ class=”aligncenter size-large” title=”WhipperBerry-SweetandSpicyPorkTacos-square-step2″][/url]
- Once the pork has been browned, remove from pan and place on a baking sheet.
- Peel the garlic and make little incisions in the pork and place the garlic inside the opening.
- [url href=”undefined”][img src=”https://whipperberry.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/WhipperBerry-SweetandSpicyPorkTacos-vertical-step5-768×1024.jpg” width=”768″ height=”1024″ class=”aligncenter size-large” title=”WhipperBerry-SweetandSpicyPorkTacos-vertical-step5″][/url]
- [url href=”undefined”][img src=”https://whipperberry.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/WhipperBerry-SweetandSpicyPorkTacos-vertical-step6-768×1024.jpg” width=”768″ height=”1024″ class=”aligncenter size-large” title=”WhipperBerry-SweetandSpicyPorkTacos-vertical-step6″][/url]
- [url href=”undefined”][img src=”https://whipperberry.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/WhipperBerry-SweetandSpicyPorkTacos-vertical-step7-768×1024.jpg” width=”768″ height=”1024″ class=”aligncenter size-large” title=”WhipperBerry-SweetandSpicyPorkTacos-vertical-step7″][/url]
- Repeat this step until you have placed all of the garlic cloves in the pork roast on all sides.
- Coat the pork roast with the Old El Paso Original Taco Seasoning on all sides.
- [url href=”undefined”][img src=”https://whipperberry.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/WhipperBerry-SweetandSpicyPorkTacos-horizontal-step3-1024×908.jpg” width=”980″ height=”869″ class=”aligncenter size-large” title=”WhipperBerry-SweetandSpicyPorkTacos-horizontal-step3″][/url]
- [url href=”undefined”][img src=”https://whipperberry.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/WhipperBerry-SweetandSpicyPorkTacos-vertical-step4-1024×1024.jpg” width=”980″ height=”980″ class=”aligncenter size-large” title=”WhipperBerry-SweetandSpicyPorkTacos-vertical-step4″][/url]
- Then cover the top of the pork with the chipotle pepper and adobo sauce.
- [url href=”undefined”][img src=”https://whipperberry.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/WhipperBerry-SpicyPorkTacos-18-1024×1024.jpg” width=”980″ height=”980″ class=”aligncenter size-large” title=”WhipperBerry-SpicyPorkTacos–18″][/url]
- Place in a 300˚ oven for 4-5 hours or in your slow cooker on low for 5-6 hours. Once the pork is 145˚ and fall off the bone tender, remove it from the oven or turn off the heat of the slow cooker and let your pork rest.
- While your pork is cooking, or preferably the night before, thinly slice the onion and place in a jar.
- [url href=”undefined”][img src=”https://whipperberry.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/WhipperBerry-SweetandSpicyPorkTacos-square-step8-1024×1024.jpg” width=”980″ height=”980″ class=”aligncenter size-large” title=”WhipperBerry-SweetandSpicyPorkTacos-square-step8″][/url]
- Boil the water and then dissolve the sugar in the hot water. Pour over the onions and then add the vinegar and garlic clove. Cover the onions completely with cold water if needed. Place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- [url href=”undefined”][img src=”https://whipperberry.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/WhipperBerry-SweetandSpicyPorkTacos-horizontal-step9-1024×683.jpg” width=”980″ height=”654″ class=”aligncenter size-large” title=”WhipperBerry-SweetandSpicyPorkTacos-horizontal-step9″][/url]
- We’re almost ready to build our tacos, all we need now is to mix our salsa. Take your favorite green salsa and pour into a bowl. Drain the pineapple tidbits and add to the salsa, then gently mix.
- Once your pork has rested for 10-15 minutes, remove the fat and then shred the pork. Place the pork in a bowl and serve along with the pickled onions, the pineapple salsa, Old El Paso Bold and Spicy Taco Shells and feta cheese.
- Let your guests build their own tacos and enjoy!
- [url href=”undefined”][img src=”https://whipperberry.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/WhipperBerry-SweetSpicyPorkTacos-hero-horizontal-1024×683.jpg” width=”980″ height=”654″ class=”aligncenter size-large” title=”WhipperBerry-SweetSpicyPorkTacos-hero-horizontal”][/url]
For more great recipes visit Old El Paso, they have thousands of recipes that can take your boring old taco night and make it something special!
Disclaimer // I am an Old El Paso™ blogger and this was sponsored by Old El Paso™ and I received compensation for my time and supplies.7