This post brought to you by Pompeian Olive Oil // There are perfect pairings in the world, cheese & crackers, peanut butter & jelly, potatoes & butter… Well, in my world I like to stretch the bounds of reason and try new things. I’m not afraid, and I’m always on the lookout for a new perfect pairing. My new discovery… Swapping my butter for olive oil when serving potatoes. Yes, I know it’s not a new thing, but for some it might be. You know who you are… Those of you who are stuck in your meat and potato rut. I’m here to save the day and give you a little heart healthy advice. Swap your butter for olive oil when it comes to roasted smashed potatoes… You’ll thank me!!
This recipe is one of my family favorites! It’s such a simple side dish, and yet it packs a good punch when served with your favorite grilled meat. I like to use either fingerling potatoes or small red potatoes for this dish. Their flesh is thin and the golden potato center is buttery and smooth. Paired with a good flavorful Extra Virgin Olive Oil like Pompeian’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil and some fresh chopped chives, the taste is divine.
- 20 small red or fingerling potatoes
- Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 table spoons of chopped chives
- In a medium sauce pot, place your potatoes in cool water and place over high heat to partially boil the potatoes. Cook over high heat for 10-15 until you can pierce the potato with a knife. Make sure you don't over cook the potatoes.
- Remove potatoes from the heat and drain.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and place your baking sheet with 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil into the oven to preheat.
- Once the oven and pan are up to temperature, remove from the oven and immediately place your potatoes onto the hot pan.
- Using a potato masher, gently smash the potatoes.
- Drizzle with more olive oil and season generously with salt & pepper.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes until the potatoes start to crisp.
- Remove from oven and garnish with chopped chives. Serve immediately.
Now all your family and friends are going to fall in love with your potato prowess! The crispy edges of these smashed potatoes will invite them in and the flavor of the olive oil with the chives will remind them of home. Serve with your favorite grilled meat and you will for sure be a hit!!
Disclaimer // This post is sponsored by Pompeian Olive Oil. I did receive product and payment for this post. However, all thoughts, ideas and opinions are my very own. Rest assured, I will never promote a company or product that I don’t use or believe in!0