{Recipe} Homemade Magic Shell Chocolate Sauce

Have you ever had one of those moments when you find a simple recipe and wonder… Where have you been all my life?  As a kid, I remember when I was introduced to Magic Shell chocolate sauce, it was earth shattering for me.  I must have been seven or eight and I thought that was the COOLEST stuff EVER!!! Here is how you can make your very own homemade Magic Shell chocolate sauce…

For those of you who don't know… Magic Shell is a chocolate sauce that is liquid when you pour it on ice cream and then within a few seconds it solidifies and creates a tasty hard shell. Lovely!

The other day I had the Food Network on in the back ground and Arti Sequeria, the star of Arti Party, was talking about this Magic Sauce she was making to top ice cream.  My ears perked up… how on earth could the scientist involved in the one and only Magic Shell give out their secret {this is obviously coming from my seven year old mind.} Sure enough, Arti had recreated one of the magical memories from my childhood.  Of course in true Food Network style she juiced it up a bit with some tasty grown-up additions.  I however, simplified her recipe and present to you the simple…

Homemade Magic Shell Chocolate Sauce

• 8 ounces of chocolate {This can be bar form or chocolate chips. Arti says to never use chocolate chips, but I tried it and it works just fine.}
  • 2 tablespoons of Coconut Oil

Place coconut oil in double boiler and melt completely. Break-up chocolate {if using bar form} and place in double boiler with the oil. Gently melt chocolate until nice and smooth.  Let cool for about 10-15 minutes and then drizzle on your favorite ice cream.

That's it! Can you believe it? No scientific concoction or crazy wizardry. All you need to do is all a little coconut oil which is solid when at room temperature, so… When you add it to something really cold it immediately solidifies. How fun is that?

Comments

Ummmm….are you freakin’ kidding me? If this works, you just became my 9 year old son’s BFF forever. Okay. Let’s be honest. Mine too. And remind me to tell you about the time when we squirted a whole bottle onto the ice in my Mom’s fridge so we could pick it off and eat it. Wait. I just told you. Awesome.

2. JennH says

Do you suppose regular old shortening (Crisco) would work since it’s also a solid at room temp? I’m thinking it might since someone else mentioned that butter works.

My husband loves this stuff! Instead of buying ice cream cakes (from a place that rhymes with Fairy… Cream) I use his favorite ice cream flavors and some of this stuff in the middle with Oreos. He loves it. Maybe this time, I’ll make the magic shell myself too!

I found mine in the with all of the other oils at the super market. Look for a jar like the one that I linked to in the post. It’s a little different the normal oil.
      kisses
      heather

• Rita - Greer,SC says

Thank you! Can’t wait to try it! I’m thinking about stirring in some crunched up Rice Krispies and trying it on an ice cream cake. I appreciate the quick response!

4. Rachel says

Oh, awesome!! I love this stuff and can’t bring myself to shell out the $$$ for it at the store. How simple! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!

You totally can! The stuff in the photograph was made the night before, stored in an air tight container in the fridge and then warmed up in the microwave a little bit to liquify again. It’s perfect!!
      kisses
      heather

YUM! I just saw this in my Real Simple Family edition that came this week. Cannot wait to try it! But here’s a question, how do we make the cherry flavor coating that I remember from my younger days? What would I use for that instead of chocolate? Any ideas???

• Hilde Spence says

Cherry Syrup Recipe

1/2 box cherry Jell-O or 1/2 box raspberry Jell-O gelatin (or your favorite Jell-O)
      1/2 cup water, boiling
      1 pint white Karo (corn syrup)

Directions:
      1. Dissolve Jell-O in boiling water.
      2. Stir in Karo syrup.
      3. Use over Ice Cream, pancakes, waffles, or fritters.

• mechelle says

there are flavored chips , cherry, mint , butterscotch ,Peanut butter,all kinds just sub those for the chocolate chips

• Cathy Prather says

I must try this with chocolate and peanut butter chips to see if I can get the Reeses flavor…my daughter loves it!!!

Thanks for the recipe. in Australia it’s called Ice Magic, my fave is the choc peppermint. maybe I could add a couple of drops of peppermint oil to the mix?
    thanks
    x Marnie

Oh! Gonna try this for my kids! I wonder if this works for dipping cake pops as well. I have a bunch of chocolate chips but they never get hard at room temp. Is that what coconut oil does, make the chocolates hard?

I’ve been making my own chocolate sauce similar to this for probably 20 years…I think before Magic Shell was invented! In my day (the olden days!), I wanted to recreate something called Gold Brick Sundae topping; a specialty chocolate sauce that is only found online or when I was a girl, served at a fancy restaurant on top of ice cream.

My recipe calls for cholate, butter and evaporated milk so I’m thinking that the coconut oil could be subbed out with butter if someone can’t locate it. Both will harden upon contact with the cold of the ice cream. Either are so much better than the store product which I think is comprised of mostly artificial ingredients.

9. Amy says

As I was eating a drumstick last night, I was literally thinking, I am only eating this so I can taste the magic shell chocolate… so why don’t I just figure out how to make the chocolate and eat a spoonful instead!!!

Thanks Heather!!! Love your site!

p.s. Coconut oil lasts for years and years, is great for long term food storage and has a fabulous flavor. It is also good for your skin.

10. kari says

I love this, but I was wondering if it becomes solid again when it cools. I would love to make this for a christmas gift and put it in a jar. Would that work or would the person have to warm it again to get the same results?

11. suzi says

I make it with a scoop of peanut butter and Choc chips. Microwave approximately one minute. Stir. Poor over icecream. ENJOY!!!! YUMMO

12. Erica says

Just wondering if the butter does work well instead of the coconut oil because my kids are allergic to coconut oil. Thanks!

LOVE this! Homemade magic shell is our new favorite thing. We use crisco instead of coconut oil and it works great. Cheaper + tastier + waaaay more fun than store bought. :) xo

14. CMH says

I’ve made it using 1 – 12 oz bag of chocolate chips and one stick of butter (4 oz.). Melt over low heat stir constantly. Store in the refrigerator and microwave ( a little at a time to melt –15 seconds or so) before drizzling over the ice cream. Yummy!!!!

This is soooo much healthier than the magic shell dips they use at places like Dairy Queen. Take it from the girl who manned the counter at the local DQ for three years. The cone dips are *disgusting* and full of trans fats. I won’t gross you out by talking about how nasty the new can of dip would be when we’d first open it before it melted, but do this at home!! So much better for you.

16. Rusti Jo says

Instead of milk chocolate chips I used semi-sweet chips since my sister prefers dark chocolate to milk chocolate then poured it over a few frozen banana halves on a stick and put them in the freezer to surprise her; she LOVED it.  It was a favorite of hers for years until they quit selling them.