Apple Butter Recipe // Ahhhh fall. So many great things to look forward to this time of year. Boots, comfy sweaters, Halloween, Thanksgiving, pumpkins, changing leaves, apples…I love all of it! It also seems to be the time of year where we see a lot more of our friends and family, and that means the opportunity to eat and share lots of good food!
So this is the perfect time for me to try out some new recipes, and do some planning for the upcoming holiday season! When I'm putting together appetizer and meal ideas for company I really try to keep things simple, and use ingredients that most people love.
This recipe is one of those dishes! Apple Butter is the perfect thing to keep on hand for a number of different occasions. It's great served on top of Brie for an appetizer, or spread on a ham & Brie sandwich for lunch, or scooped onto ice cream for dessert. It's so versatile!
Apple butter is made in the crockpot over a 10-12 hour period, so that the apples and spices have time to come together and make a smooth apple spread. Don't be afraid of the length of time it takes to make Apple Butter, it's really very simple. All you have to do is put the ingredients into a crock pot and let it simmer during the day or even overnight. Then you have the most delicious treat!
Ingredients: (Makes 1 – 2 cups) 6 medium/large apples, cored and peeled and chopped 1/2 cup sugar 1/2 cup brown sugar 1 1/2 to 2 tsp cinnamon pinch nutmeg pinch allspice dash salt 1 tsp vanilla (optional) Instructions:
- In a crockpot, mix together the chopped apples with the sugars and spices. Mix well.
- Cook in the crockpot on low for 10 hours, stirring occasionally if you can. Let the mixture cook until it is thick and dark brown.
- After the 10 hours, remove the lid and blend the apple mixture with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Then cook uncovered in the crockpot for an additional 1 – 2 hours.
- Store in sterile jars in your fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Serve on a brie cheese wheel (see below).
- Make a ham and brie cheese sandwich, and spread on some apple butter. You could cook it like a grilled cheese sandwich. Yum!
- Serve alongside roast or BBQ'd pork.
- Serve on vanilla ice cream.
- Spread on toast.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Now because I have an obsession with anything having to do with Brie cheese, I wanted to give you an option on how to serve some of your Apple Butter. Apples and Brie are a match made in Heaven. Major deliciousness going on here.
Actually the whole inspiration for me to make Apple Butter was just imagining it baked onto some Brie cheese. I thought it would make a perfect fall appetizer…apples, cinnamon & spices with cheese…a delicious seasonal dish. Mmmmmmm!
But you may notice in this picture that the apple butter is not smooth. I wanted the mixture to be chunky on top of the brie…I just like the texture better. All I did was take about a 1/2 cup of the apple butter out of the crockpot before I blended the rest. This step of course is entirely up to you.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Place a brie cheese wheel in an oven proof serving dish. Score the top with a knife, then place it in the oven for about 5 minutes, until the brie is softened.
- Then mound about 1/2 cup of the apple butter on top of the brie, and bake for about 3-4 minutes more.
- Serve with crackers or chunks of bread.
I hope you enjoy these recipes for Apple Butter!
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
For even more delicious appetizers, come on over!
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –3