Recipe~ The Most Amazing Chocolate Cake… Ever!

WB 018 copy

I have a dear friend, Janeen, who makes the most amazing Chocolate Cake EVER!!! It’s one of those cakes that leaves a lasting impression, it haunts you until you finally break down and beg your sweet friend to please share the recipe with you.  Then you beg some more to see if you can share it with the world.  Janeen, my dear, the world is going to LOVE you and your amazing cake!!

WB 005 copy

The Most Amazing Chocolate Cake… Ever!

1 Chocolate Cake Mix (any kind, I've used chocolate fudge, Swiss chocolate, or milk chocolate)

1 C Mini Chocolate Chips

1 cup Sour Cream

1 Pkg. of Chocolate Pudding (small 3.5 oz. box)

Prepare cake as directed on box, and add sour cream, pudding and chocolate chips.  Pour into 2 9-inch round baking pans.  Bake as directed on box (you might need to add a minute or two to the baking time because of the added ingredients).  Place on a wire rack to cool.

Equally Impressive Chocolate Frosting

1 cup butter at room temperature

3 oz. Ghirardelli 100% cocoa chocolate bar

4-5 cups powered sugar

milk

Chop the chocolate, then place in double boiler until melted.  Cream together butter, chocolate, and 4 cups of powered sugar. Add milk as needed for desired consistency.  Combine until creamy; continue to add powered sugar and milk until it is the consistency and taste that you want.  Place one layer of cake on cake stand and frost the top, then add the second layer and frost the rest of the cake.

Garnish with chocolate curls.  I like to make bigger curls for this cake.  Melt some chocolate, get a 9 inch round cake pan and turn upside down and then spread the chocolate on it as a thin, thin layer.  Let cool until the chocolate is set and then get a cheese slicer or potato peeler, and slice the chocolate into curls.

Chocolate Cake

Janeen made this Heavenly cake for our Bloggers Night Out {Vegas Style} [more on that to come!] this past weekend, and blew everyone away!! Janeen you are a doll!!

Comments

• Delores Knutson says

Please email me back as this recipie sounds great, but you need to imply if you use instant chocolate pudding or cooked. Or don't it matter . Please email me as I don't have a website . Thanks I will be waiting for your email reply

Delores

1. Lovy says

amazing! the sad thing about cakes is that you can’t try any of it.. so i left a little batter and frosting to make two cupcakes for myself :] SO moist. and the frosting is addicting.. must’ve dipped my finger into the frosting pot 20+ times. i’ve gotten compliments on how the cake looks (chocolate shavings turned out wonderfully!) but we’ll have to see what people think of the taste tomorrow at the welcome lunch! THANK YOU!

2. Meagen says

I made this in cupcake form with a chocolate ganache frosting and it was TO DIE FOR! I was told by several people that it was the best cupcake they have ever had haha. Thank you!!!

-M.

3. Eric says

It seems most cake mixes come with pudding in them already. So are you adding more pudding or if it comes with pudding already in it, do you not put it in?

4. Kate Cecilia says

This cake is incredible — both devilishly rich and very moist. I substituted the chocolate pudding for vanilla pudding, and used a Duncan Hines yellow cake mix. The results were still outstanding. It’s a surprisingly easy recipe, and I can’t wait to share this link with friends.

I’m also coveting the robin’s egg blue dessert plates — great photos!

5. Peggy says

This is MY recipe! Too funny. This is my favorite chocolate cake recipe. I pour my batter into a Bundt pan though. I’m going to try to use 2 round cake pans next time.
    Thanks.
    Looks so yummy!

6. Gina says

I made this for friends and family to enjoy on Christmas night. Did 2 layers with dark chocolate ganache, pecans and coconut in the middle. Everyone went NUTS for it. Today one of the friends who enjoyed it that night emailed me to ask if I could please “bring that crack cake and jam a candle in it” to feed the masses at her husband’s birthday party on Sunday. I can’t wait to make it again!

7. Gina Langford says

Hi! I am currently baking this cake and it’s been in the oven five extra minutes from the time state on the box and it still doesn’t seem done! Are you supposed to take it out when it’s still gooey inside??? Help please!

8. Kelsey says

Actually instant works best and a way to improve it that you should try is using 4 eggs instead of the recommended three, using 1/2 c. water and a 1/2 c. oil instead of the recommended oil amounts. And I usually use 2 oz chocolate. This recipe also translates to about any type of cake you want – white with vanilla pudding and white chocolate, strawberry with cheesecake pudding and strawberries instead of the chocolate, etc. Be creative. Also, make sure after baking to cut the top, bottom, and sides off of the cake in a thin layer if you want an incredibly, incredibly scrumptious cake. And follow baking rules of course, mixing your dry ingredients first then adding wet, banging pans on counter to get air bubbles out before baking, flouring pans, etc. Try it. I bet you anything it will improve your best chocolate cake ever :)

9. Jodi says

I have made this cake many times – and have gotten raves every single time! It has become a favorite with my co-workers…I have to make it for them on every special occasion! The name of this cake says it all – if you love chocolate, you will LOVE this cake!!

10. Jim says

Made this for my wifes birthday. It is the best Choc cake ever! I finished off the last quarter of the cake because I couldn’t stop eating it. I stirred my coffee, couldn’t find a clean fork, so dug in with the hot coffee flavored spoon. It melted its way through the cake. This will be my new way to eat this cake from now on!

Hello, my name is Elizabeth and I work for a library in Wyoming. We are currently putting together a Death By Chocolate recipe book with recipes from our annual fundraiser. I noticed your photo with the cake on a plate at the top of this post, and it’s gorgeous. Very well done. We’re currently looking for pictures for the section dividers of our recipe book. I would love to discuss using your picture with you if you’re interested. It’s easiest to reach me by email. Please let me know what you think. And thank you!

12. Natalie says

This recipe is actually from Taste of Home magazine. The only difference is that they have a ganache on top and strawberries on top.

13. Lori says

Just tried this for the first time and got RAVE reviews. Made a double recipe for a really large cake and every single person that tasted it swore it was the best chocolate cake they’ve ever had. A former chef even suggested I sell to local restaurants! Instead of the shaved chocolate I covered the entire cake in malt balls cut in half. The little bit of crunch made the perfect chocolate cake even better! If I don’t make this again there will mutiny in the birthday ranks.Thanks so much!

14. Christine Doane says

OK, I made this today as cupcakes and OMG they are soooo sooo good! It did make 5 extra cupcakes (29 instead of the usual 24) because of the extra ingredients. I also had to fill the liners a little more than the recommended 2/3 full because the batter expanded perfectly while baking, but then when cooling it shrunk up a bit and looked a bit funky. With some buttercream on top, you couldn't tell, but I would add a little more batter to the liners next time to accomodate for the shrinkage. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. It will be my go to now! Thank you!!!
    #next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

15. Jenna Meadows says

I made this yesterday for my dads birthday, and I have to say it came out wonderfully! It was really really moist, which made me really nervous about it falling apart when taking them out of the pans. Luckily, it stayed together, but I had to be really careful. The frosting was actually the best part. I let my very critical parents taste it before I frosted the cake, and surprisingly they didnt have anything bad to say about it! If you want to store it in the fridge, you will want to let it sit out for several minutes so it is easier to cut it (the frosting hardens to a sort of plaster-like feel, making it hard to cut. But once it "thaws" it tastes just as good and fresh! Dont worry) Overall, this cake is AMAZING! My dad absolutely loved it

When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment
    is added I get three e-mails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove people from that service?

Thanks!