Tutorial~ Summer Sponge Bombs

Last week we participated in A Little Tipsy’s Make A Memory series… and since Sarah and I are madly packing our cute bags for Evo’11 I thought I would share our fun summer activity with you guys today, just in case you missed it.

Water Bombs 032

A few years ago I was planning an activity for our youth at church and I came up with our version of water dodge ball.  We used large carwash sponges and several huge buckets of water in a large field, broke the kiddos up into teams and let them go to town.  They LOVED it!!!  It has become a tradition every summer here in these parts.  When Michelle asked if I had a fun memory maker this was the first thing I thought of… but of course I needed a fun WhipperBerry Spin!!  I found this picture on Pinterest from The House of Hepworths

image

… and thought it would be a fun addition to our water dodge ball tradition.  I bought sponges, a mop and some drawer liners.  All very durable materials!

love 007

The girls and I then cut up the mop, sponges and drawer liners to make our components for the sponge bombs.

Water Bombs 002

You then decide how big you want your bombs to be… I cut each sponge into thirds {tall thirds} and used two sponges per bomb. and then randomly added the color strips.

Water Bombs 015

We then gathered them and wrapped them with a cable tie.

Water Bombs 017

Cinch the cable tie down really tight…

Water Bombs 019

… and then trim the tail.

Water Bombs 021

You may be worried about he cable tie… but don’t.  By the time you cinch it down real tight the hard knob gets lost inside the sponges and it doesn’t cause any problems at all.  My kiddos have played with these for HOURS without any complaints.

Water Bombs 025

Trim the long strips to make it a little more uniform.  Fluff and grab a bucket!!!

Water Bombs 061

Aren’t they cute?!?

Even my little guy LOVED them.  He had to play with them while dry as to not get his poor cast wet.  The good news… his cast came off today!! YEA!!

Let the kiddos go WILD!  They LOVE these!!  Who needs Sponge Bob when you have SPONGE BOMBS!!!!

Happy Summer everyone and thanks Michelle for letting us join the party!!

Signature_edited-1

On a side note… I want to welcome our newest sponsor!  Everyone give a big hello to Home Talk!

125x125

If you are looking for some amazing home DIY support this is the place to go.  It’s a community of home renovation professionals and expert DIYers who are ready to answer any home questions.  Let me tell you… I’m a totally chicken and I am sooo exited about this site.  I hope they’re ready for me because I need a lot of hand holding and moral support when it comes to projects that involve my home.  Have I told you of my fear of power tools yet?  Anyway, run over and check it out, you’re going to LOVE it!!

WhipperBerryLogo

Comments

1. A Pretty Life in the Suburbs says

Love love love them! Great choices with all the different components, they look so pretty!
    Jo-Anna

2. Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous says

I've been meaning to do these with my little man! They look so fun! thumbs up :)
    happy crafting,
    Linda

3. jen@eighteen25 says

how is it that you make water bombs cute enough that i want to add them to my decor somewhere??? and please stop mentioning evo. i'm already jealous enough!! :) no really… i hope you girls have a great time!!
    jen

4. Wendy says

Super cute and fun idea! Our youth are having a water activity at this very moment…wish I'd seen this before–I could have passed it along.

5. babyboybakery says

these are super cute! i can't wait to make some! i just recently found your blog and have become a HUGE fan!

6. [email protected] says

Oh wow I LOVE these! They're really, really pretty! Thanks for the how-to, I'll be spreading the word.

7. Erin says

Those are SO cute I love the colors! I made some with the zip ties and found that that left a little sharp edge, so I tried my daughters clear eleastic ponytails and those worked great, plus if they break I have another 99 in reserve. Just wanted to share.

8. Nelly says

Thanks for sharing!! My son is turning 3 in August and we are having a pool party. I am def. going to make these and toss them into their goodie bags!

9. Angie says

Thanks! I love these. I made the original ones for our "Back-to-School Splash Bash" a couple of years back and I plan on making these for this year's event! Love the additions! I pinned these to Pinterest, too, so others can see!

10. Allison @ House of Hepworths says

I'm so glad my picture inspired you! Yours are way cuter though! I love how you added all the different textures. Also, cable ties? Best idea ever! Dang, I'm sitting there using fishing line, trying to tie it, and you just zipped yours right up. I'm definitely using the ties in the future.

xoxo

Allison @ House of Hepworths

11. Marie {Make and Takes} says

We have made these and love them. BUT I'm loving your additions with a mop and shelf liners! So cute!

Aren't these things a blast?? I remember playing with these with my kids several years ago before they got "too big for that stuff"  :-/

I run Fun Family Crafts, a site similar in nature to Craftgawker and Spotlight, but different in that it's a library of craft tutorials geared only at kids. I would love it if you'd stop by and submit this to be featured! (I link to you, I don't post your tutorial on the site) Feel free to submit as many kid friendly craft tutorials as you like! http://funfamilycrafts.com/