{Tutorial} Sweater Flowers

This is a sneak peak into our guest post for Jen at Tatertots & Jell-o Friday, but I just couldn’t wait to share!

Sweater Flower 060_edited-1

Not too long ago, I discovered some fabulous sweater flowers made by Linda over at Craftaholics Anonymous, and thought I would give them a go.

First, you will need some old sweaters.  I found mine at a thrift store for a few dollars, I just couldn’t stomach cutting up my sweaters knowing how much I paid for them.

Take the sleeve of the sweater and cut roughly a 4 to 5 inch section off.

Sweater Flower 001  Sweater Flower 005

Sweater Flower 009

I double thread a regular sewing needle and tie a knot at the end. Fold the sweater round in half, right sides out.

Sweater Flower 023  Sweater Flower 012

Hand sew a basting stitch along the bottom 1/4 of the sweater round, making sure to catch both layers of sweater.

Sweater Flower 027_edited-1

I like to pull the thread while I continue the basting stich.  I find it’s much easier to gather, and it lessens the likelihood of the thread breaking.

Sweater Flower 032

Once you have completed the basting stitch, tie a knot to secure.

Sweater Flower 035

Flip the flower over.

Sweater Flower 042

Now you can embellish the flower center however you like.

Sweater Flower 044

With a button…

Sweater Flower 059

…or another type of fabric flower.  This is a twisted muslin flower.  Aren’t they fun!!!

Sweater Flower 066

The ideas are limitless!!  I have visions of a Sweater Flower Christmas Wreath in my future!!

Signature_edited-1

Visit thecsiproject.com

WhipperBerryLogo

Comments

1. Nicole Love says

Those flowers are beautiful! Where do you find all of your cute buttons and pins for the center of your flowers?

2. Heather {WhipperBerry} says

Nicole-the button is from JoAnn's and the pearl thing is actually a hair clip that I bought that never worked in my hair so I re-purposed it.

3. Tonia says

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting a project that seems so simple & easy enough for me to actually make a few. I'm seeing a visit to Goodwill & some homemade Christmas gifts in my future.

Tonia

4. zoo keeper says

yes! exactly! i know what i'm going to do for some fun gifts! it's so handy when other people are so creative ;o) keep up the good work!

5. the 30 girl says

These are lovely! I'm pretty sure I have several old sweaters just waiting to be turned into flowers. Thanks for sharing this idea!

6. Hope says

i just made a lime green one and put a pink floral fabric rose in the center! I'm going to make it a pin for my black winter coat! SOOOO cute! But I think my sweater was kinda too thick. Going to the sal val tonight to find thinner sweaters. THANK YOU for the idea!

7. melissa says

ooooo….i love this tutorial! i can pictures these darlings on a headband…on my adorable three year olds head! oh the possibilities! thanks for sharing!

8. Nicki says

Sooooo cute! I love easy projects like this one, and I have 2 (going on 3) girls that could wear these in their hair!