DIY Baby Gift ~ Portable Growth Chart Kit

I grew up with a Mom who religiously made those cute little tick marks inside a door frame every year to mark our growth.  Sadly when we moved we didn’t get to take the door frame with us.  Sooo, I thought I would make a portable growth chart kit for my kiddos that can stay on the wall or be tucked away and taken out on special occasions.  Here is what you need…

Growth Chart 019 copy

• Jute Webbing {I got mine at Wal-Mart for $2.97 for 6 ft.}
  • Sharpie Marker & Sharpie Pen
  • Key Tags {you can find these at most office supply stores}
  • Large Safety Pins
  • Measuring Tape
  • Ruler
  • Stencil
  • 1 large grommet

I started by measuring the jute webbing and marking off for each foot…

WB 043 copy

I then marked off each inch…

GC 001

I made mine 6 ft. because I want to hopefully keep up the tradition through college for my little guy {that is if he will let me!}

Won’t it be a fun gift to pass on to his wife when they start to have kiddos of their own.

Anyway… once you have the tick marks all you have to do is use a stencil to stencil on the numbers.  I created mine using my Silhouette and some card stock.

WB 062 copy

Stencil on the numbers and your kiddos name…

WB 057 copy

Next using my grommet tool I added a grommet to the top…

WB 061 copy

Now, all you have to do is put together the kit for the gift.  I use key tags that you can buy at the office supply store to write all of the pertinent information on and then affix it to the chart with a large safety pin…

WB 053 copy

The nice thing about this is that you can roll it up and store it in the box when you don’t want to have it out and the pins and tags stay protected and in place.

WB 066 copy

For the gift, I found a fun box at Target and put together a little kit…

WB 079 copy

… with safety pins and tags tied up with some Divine Twine, it’s a perfect gift for a new mom!!

What is your favorite new mom craft project?

Signature copy

This post was originally posted on Sew Dang Cute during Tam’s July Jamboree

Comments

This is such a neat idea. I coordinate the Creative Activities for my local MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) Group and we will be making these for our activity this Friday. Thank you for such an awesome tutorial!

that’s a hard question, each store is different. I’ve seen it with the ribbon, I’ve seen it with the burlap, It’s all over. I would just ask someone.
      good luck
      heather

• Rebecca says

I was able to find the Jute webbing at hobby lobby and amazon.com.

Same with the grommets. Our walmart does  not carry them.

2. Tiffany says

I used a plain wood box with a latch and wiring on the top from Michaels and painted it brown! : ) It worked perfect!

3. Raye says

So I’m new to crafts, but this seems like something really cute that I should actually be able to do! I just have a question about grommets, since I’m not familiar with them at all. Is there a certain kind that would be most effective on jute webbing? I’ve seen brass, plastic, etc, and don’t know what kind will work best. I just don’t want to make it and then have the grommet fall off or break or something because I got the wrong type.

4. Lindsey says

What is the width of the webbing you used? also Im looking to use some nylon webbing because I found it in wonderful colors but do you think it will be to thick for the safety pins?

Attractive portion of content. I simply stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to say that I acquire in fact loved account your weblog posts. Anyway I’ll be subscribing for your feeds or even I success you get admission to persistently fast.

6. Lauren says

Do you have any alternative ideas to recording the height and age on the growth chat? The safety pins and tags look great but make me a little nervous having them in a kids room.

Thanks a lot for sharing this with all of us you really realize what you’re talking about! Bookmarked. Please also seek advice from my website =). We may have a link alternate arrangement among us

8. Lacey says

Are there special grommets for fabric? I am having a hard time finding 1 inch grommets and tool to set. Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

9. Wylie says

I made one of these for my granddaughter’s first birthday, and my daughter and son-in-law loved it! Thank you so much. I stenciled her name down the side at the top, and then stenciled a rose at the bottom. Her name is Ida Rose.

10. Jordana says

Thankyoufor sharing this gorgeous creation of yours! I’m so inspired:) a much more attractive, personal and special way to keep to track of a little ones (super quick) growth!! I will make a similar chart with ribbons of colours and embroidery, photos and iron ons, and will try to find some kind of similar tags cos I DIG your safety pin idea!!! Thank you so so mug for sharing:) I will also be checking out your blog/site for more great ideas!!! Xox

11. mimsy lafree says

This is fantastic looking! I am so excited to try making my own. One question and one comment: Did you need to stitch the ends of the jute to keep it from unraveling? I’ve never used jute before and am not sure how it holds up. Comment for the commenter who was concerned about safety pins in a baby room: I was able to find some old-school plastic diaper pins through Amazon that are harder for small hands to unhook than regular pins. I was even able to find them in black – kind of weird to see baby items in black, but I think they’ll look sharp against the jute. Thanks for sharing this great tutorial!

12. Amy says

Update…JoAnn’s has this webbing for $9.99/yard but go to WalMart (SuperWalmart still has fabric) where it’s $2.50 for 2 yards or .67/yard. Unbelievable. I only did the numbers on the feet marks, not in between and it still looked good – but did the marks up both sides. I don’t have a grommet tool so I just folded the top over and hotglued it (works well on burlap) and then tied a black rope/ribbon through it to hang. All in all looks good. Giving it to my son’s daycare owner for her daughter and marking off his height to show her how it’s used :)

I came across your DIY growth chart from pinterest a while back and I have been looking for growth charts for a while and just keep coming back to this one. It is SUCH a great idea! I love the look of boxing it up and gifting it! I am thinking about sewing ribbon over the red lines so I can personalize the charts more to each of my kids. Do you have any suggestions for sewing the ribbon on? Also, if I am successful, do you mind if I post a tutorial on it on my page, linking to yours of course to give you the credit for the awesome idea!
    Thanks again for posting, I absolutely LOVE it! And I hope my twins cherish them and use them when they have kids!

Jennifer

14. Tiffani says

I love this! I’ve been searching everywhere for all of the supplies. Finally tracked down the jute webbing for a decent price. Now I’m looking for some stencils. I’ve found some 3″ letters from Hobby that I like, but I’m not sure if they’ll be small enough. Do you know about how many inches wide you made yours? Unfortunately I don’t have a cricket or silhouette machine to make my own and I most definitely am not able to free hand it. Also, are the foot numbers bigger than the inch numbers?

Heather – I absolutely love your DIY growth chart and included a link to it on a recent post on my blog about decorative growth charts. The way that you packaged it up is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your talents!

16. Tiffani says

I love this project idea, but I’m getting very frustrated with it. I’ve got all my supplies except I can’t find any stencils. What size did you use for the letters and for the numbers? I don’t have a silhouette, so I’m going to have to buy some, but just can’t find what I need.

17. Theresa says

Can I pay you to make one for me!!!!!!!!! I’m serious! I just ordered individual canvas growth charts for the kids bedrooms, however, I have a place in my house between my kitchen and dining room that this would look amazing! I love the fact that it goes all the way to 6ft tall. My husband’s side is of tall stock, so I expect at least 2 of my 3 kids to be up there in height. Please email me so we can discuss the cost and if you are interested! I love the entire package! The box it comes in, etc. Thanks in advance, Theresa

18. Amber says

I did this and it turned out so AWESOME!! I also did it for my sister’s two girls! Thanks for sharing! I’d love to send a picture of them to you! Contact me by email and I’ll email it to you!

19. Courtney Palmateer says

I am not very crafty! Would you be willing to make two of these for me? If so, how much would you charge? Thanks, Courtney

Currently stationed  over seas (japan), we do not have access to allot of "American items". I was looking for a very neat gift to give a new mommy. Would you sell me one of this growth chart & Box! I can't find any thing on line that look cute. Being a military family we move allot, this would be amazing gift for her!

Cindy

21. Sann Sipka says

My daughter-in-law wanted me to help her with this growth chart for her little girl and it's a great idea.  I think that some of you that are looking for stencils without luck could use a large number and letter stamp set and Staz-on ink.  Just a thought.  Can't wait to do this with my daughter-in-law over the Thanksgiving Holiday.

22. Deebi27 says

I LOVE this idea! It’s on my list to look for tomorrow! New grandbaby…needs this for his room and the portability idea is genius!

1. [...] kinda crafty – so much cuter that your run of the mill growth charts.  See how to make it here. DIY Burlap Baby Growth Chart Eco World Content From Across The Internet. Featured on [...]

2. [...] So, here it is, the portable height chart!  It’s really quite brilliant.  When the Hub bought this house, one of the doors had the kids’ heights on the back and he had a moral conundrum on what to do with the door. Seemed like painting it over was erasing their history. Then again, they would never live here again… I’ve seen where people will take a picture of it and frame it when they move. Anyway, this one is portable. You can hang it on a nail on any wall…anywhere.  I found the idea on Pinterest but here’s the original posting to give you and idea on how to put it together.  Portable height chart.   [...]