Crayon Heart Valentines | Lifestyle Crafts

Valentine's Day is right around the corner and today I thought I would share my "you color my WORLD" Crayon Heart Valentines, made with the new Sweetheart die collection from Lifestyle Crafts and heart shaped crayons made with melted Crayola crayons.

Isn't that fun?  I am always a fan of homemade Valentines for the kiddos classes every year.  It's also a bit of a challenge to make valentines that are fun, colorful and easy on their sugar intake for the day.

I know this isn't a new idea by far… My neighbor made these heart shaped crayons several years ago after finding this fun idea in Family Fun magazine, but I thought it would be a perfect fit for the new Sweetheart Nesting Hearts from Lifestyle Crafts.  Cutting the hearts was super simple using my Epic three in one tool from Lifestyle Crafts.  The Epic tool cuts, embosses and can create beautiful letterpress projects as well.

But I am getting ahead of myself!  Before we can make the cards we need to make the heart shaped crayons…

You will need to gather all the old crayons in the house… if your house is anything like mine, that won't be a problem.  You can also purchase new crayons as well.  I will have to admit, the new crayons were easier to remove the labels from. I used an X-ACTO knife to make a slit down the length of the crayon to easily remove the labels.  The older crayons took a little more coaxing.

Once you've removed all of the labels, break the crayons into small pieces.  The smaller the better…

I also found that separating them into color families made for the best looking crayons, but that is completely up to you!

You will need to use a heart shaped silicon baking mold to melt your crayons in.  I found mine at Michaels in the baking section and it worked like a dream.  The girls and I decided that we wanted our crayons to be a little glittery so we added about 1/2 a teaspoon of silver glitter to the bottom of the baking mold. Then we filled the baking mold with the crayons about 1/3 full. The mold I used was pretty deep so depending on what you use you will have to play around with this.

Place in your oven that has been pre-heated to 300 degrees and baked for 15 minutes.  The crayons will become completely liquefied so be careful when you pull them out of the oven.  Carefully place them on the counter to cool.  You want to make sure that you don't move them around too much and mix the colors more than you want.  Wait for about 20 minutes or until the crayon is solid again and then gently remove it from the mold and let cool completely.

I made 57 hearts with the Wilton Mini Heart Mold using approximately 200 crayons.

Now it's time to pull out your Epic Tool to make the heart shaped cards for you to place your new crayons on.  I used two different dies from the new Sweetheart line for this project.  The Nesting Heart and the Nesting Scallop Hearts work beautiful for this card.

I decided that since I wanted the focus to be on the crayons I used a basic white watercolor paper for the base of the card.

Once I cut out the heart shapes, I used my rolling alphabet stamp to create the fun saying on the card. "Valentine… you color my WORLD"  I just LOVE that look!!

Of course I had to dress up the heart crayons with some Divine Twine from Whisker Graphics. I just wrapped the hearts randomly and tied with a bow or made little twine bundles for the decoration…

This is such a fun project to do with the kiddos.  My girls and I had  ball gabbing while we were prepping the crayons. After that it was a perfect opportunity to have a color class while we created our crayon concoctions.  From start to finish this is an easy and elegant Valentine treat that your little ones {or big ones} will love to share with their friends this Valentine's Day!!

Come back tomorrow I have another fun Anthro inspired Valentine project made with my Sweetheart dies from Lifestyle Crafts!

Here are some more WhipperBerry Lifestyle Craft projects…

Party favors, bakery boxes & bubble party favors

Comments

1. Brooke says

I just made these and the wax separated on the top, so there is a white/clear layer on the back of all of them… Any way to avoid this? I didnt use Crayola but they are not the cheapest crayons either…

• Leah says

Hi Brooke – I have no idea how to avoid the white layer … but just wanted to let you know that if you use Crayola you'll get it as well!  I just made the hearts tonight and used Crayola crayons … and found that on the back of all of them.

2. Jen says

Found you on StumbleUpon – making these today !!! Yours look beautiful !! Getting the paper off all of those crayons was a chore though :)

Wow! What a great idea! I love love love it. :-) Thank you so much for sharing. I love you epic tool! It is kind of like those other cutters, but way smaller and a three in one! I have to look in to it more!

Hi there -

Super cute idea and amazing photography – love your site! I have a question about the melting process – I’ve tried this twice (once w/ cheap crayons, the second w/ crayola only) and seem to be having a problem w/ the wax separating from the pigment in the finished product. Do you have any tips on how to avoid that in the future? I’m up for trying a third time, but think that’ll be it if it doesn’t pan out. Thanks!!

• Sarah says

I’m having that same problem, with the wax separating and having that milky layer on top, did you ever figure out how to fix this??

I had a little bit of that issue but not bad enough for it to bother me. You may want to try a slightly lower temp and shorten your baking time by a minute. See if that may work.
        kisses
        heather

• Kim says

I read on another site that "washable" crayons do this. It was recommended that only the original type of Crayola should be used for this project. Not sure if it's entirely accurate, but the original Crayola brand is what I used and they turned out perfect.

• Randi says

I do mine at 250* for about 10-15 minutes. Keep an eye on them and take them out just after they have melted down otherwise, if you bake them too long, the color will separate from the wax

5. Kelly says

LOVED these…….Made 70 for two of my favorite gals, my daughter and her best friend. They LOVE them and they were pretty easy..question how did you get them to stick on the paper heart? I just wanted the kids to re-use these so did anyone find anything good to use?

6. Ashley C says

I read through the comments looking for more info about your rolling stamp. The rolling stamps on Etsy seem to only have Uppercase letters. Does your stamp have both uppercase and lowercase? Thanks. Love these and I am planning to make some.

7. Haley says

I made these for my daughter”s preschool class today and they turned out great! Crayola crayons worked the best (I used cheaper crayons for the first ones and had to toss them…they were very dull and didn’t write well. When I took mine out of the oven I put them right in the freezer and when they cooled they popped out so easily! Thank you!

8. Bunny says

I love this idea. But I did have a little problem. Maybe you could help me out with a answer. I used Crayola Crayons and everything was working great. Let cool for 20 mins but when I went to take them out they broke into pieces. I used a little larger heart mold could that have been the problem.
    Looking for your answer.

• Cheri says

I made them last night using a mixture of crayons brands and the larger mold, but I filled them 1/2 full instead of 3/4. They needed a little longer than the 20 minutes to cool. Next time I’m going to try putting them in the freezer to cool.

Sarah, I haven’t tested a metal pan. Keep in mind the pan will no longer be able to be used with food, so I wouldn’t want to use something that you want to keep in your kitchen arsenal.
      kisses
      heather

9. Beth says

I just made these with my 5 year old for his class party next week and they are adorable! I used the Wilton mold like you did and am wondering how you got the crayon remnants out once you were done :) I’ve tried scraping it but just can’t get it totally clean. Any tips or is this going to be purely a craft mold from now on :)

10. Laura says

I did mine at 250 degrees for 15 minutes. I also added metallic crayons to add some sparkle in place of glitter. Look awesome!

11. Wendy says

I made these tonight. The hardest part was peeling the crayons. I set my oven at 250 F and it took about 10 minutes. After they came out of the oven, I used a toothpick to swirl the colors together. They turned out beautiful!! Thanks for the inspiration!!

12. Amy Stoner says

LOVE the idea! My 5 year old and I peeled about 170 off brand crayons and set out to making using same silicon heart mold, but have run into tiny problem…I’ve noticed that the “wax” is floating to the top making on the bottom portion not able to be written with…have u had any express same problem and if crayola brand fix this problem from this “separation that is occurring within the oven? I tired cooking at lower temp (230 degrees this last time but still same problem). And I was hoping for the whole crayon to write! Thanks in advance!

did this in junior high. i loved the look with glitter or glitter crayons but when my friends attempted to color with them they found it was darn near impossible to color with the glitter. just thought it would be a helpful hint if the kids really would use them. (i know my friends did. if you live in a colder region when you do them it is faster to put them outside for a couple of minuets if it is cold out.

14. Emily says

I love making things with crayons!:) Where did you get your rolling alphabet stamp? I love the way it writes! Beautiful idea!

15. Kim says

Exactly why wouldn't you be able to use a silicone mold again for food after making crayons? Crayola crayons are non-toxic and they're just wax. Is there something else I should know about?

16. melissa says

Hi!

What a wonderful idea and beautiful work.

Can the mold be used for baking after it is used with crayons?

• robin says

Hi Ann, my daughter actually requested to make these for her 4th grade class. She will be 10 in April and most her classmates are alreayd 10 or 10 1/2 so it seems totally cool to them. Part of it is the appeal of the "science" end of it mixing etc. I hope you made them too ;)

17. maggie says

hi thanks for the idea so CUTE – can you tell me where you purchased the drying bicycle wheels in the photos? so adorable!

Blessings, Maggie

18. dee says

I made these today as well and ended up with some wax on the top edges of mine as well, in spite of using Crayolas.  I heated up an empty cookie sheet to 300* with a piece of parchment paper on it and then pulled out the pan, placing it on the counter. I placed the the hearts on top, 2 at a time for about 10-12 seconds then wiped them across a second piece of parchment that was on the counter – room temp.  I was able to wipe off most of the wax evenly this way!  I had to place a couple of them back on the heated pan for a second time.  This worked out well for me, getting rid of the white waxy residue.  Hope it helps!!

19. Crystal says

Love these! I love the glitter, too! We were using a cheaper crayon that was impossible to peel, so I ended up baking them with the labels and then plucking the labels out. I did it both ways and there was a little more mixing of the colors when I had to pull out the labels but it may be worth the while for someone doing a lot. We wanted to have our kids help and they were not excited after peeling the first batch…:) We used a lower temp and did not have a problem with the waxy build up…maybe that will help?

20. Carol Evans says

Wonderful project classroom valentine cards and much more!  VERY easy to make if directions were followed and silicon pans were easy to clean with hot, soapy water.  Love this!!  :)

1. […] Whipperberry has a cute twist on DIY crayons — adding a little glitter into the equation! While the melting ought to be done by an adult, your little ones will LOVE tearing the paper off your old and broken crayons. You can melt different shades of one colour into a fun new crayon, or have your kiddos play around with different colour combinations — go for the rainbow! […]

2. […] Cut a heart shape out of card stock, slightly bigger than your crayon heart. Glue the crayon heart to the middle of the cardstock with a hot glue gun. Tie some twine or ribbon around the crayon piece for some added flair. See how cool it looks at whipperberry! […]

3. […] Cut a heart shape out of card stock, slightly bigger than your crayon heart. Glue the crayon heart to the middle of the cardstock with a hot glue gun. Tie some twine or ribbon around the crayon piece for some added flair. See how cool it looks at whipperberry! […]