As a child my favorite thing on the planet was chocolate pudding. If you wanted to find your way into my heart all you needed to do was gift me a chocolate pudding cup and we were best friends. Even better were those long since forgotten pudding pops, but we’ll save that for another day. My entire childhood I thought the only way to make pudding was to either buy it in cup from the dairy section of the market OR… Make your own from the pudding powder you found in the baking section of the market. My mind was blown when my Mom made homemade chocolate pudding the first time. It was so much better than the store bought options. Who knew it was so easy to make AND… That it tasted so good.
I’ve made homemade pudding for awhile now and I’ve been playing around with other ingredients to give it even more deep flavor than the traditional recipe. I headed off to Target to go on a hunt for other options for my homemade chocolate pudding craving. I ended up at the creamer section and started to think, this might be the perfect option.
Check out all of the fun options… So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Creamer would make a fun pudding and we love coconut at our house. The Silk Almond Creamer is another great option. The one that really caught my eye was the new Horizon Organic Half & Half that has that lovely buttercream flavor! Doesn’t that sound awesome? Chocolate pudding with a hint of butter flavor… Yum! Either way, Target has so many fabulous choices in creamers. Dairy, non-dairy, flavored or not flavored they have all kinds to choose from. They are great to start your day in your hot chocolate or coffee and they are fantastic to play around with for sweet treats like my chocolate pudding. Want a sweet deal? If you download the Target Cartwheel App you can use Cartwheel and the 20% off Cartwheel offer on International Delight Simply Pure, Horizon, Silk and So Delicious creamers from 9/25/2016 – 10/22/2016!
After a little playing around, here is the recipe that the whole family LOVED!
Homemade Chocolate Pudding Recipe
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup Horizon Organic Buttercream Half & Half
- ¼ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons corn starch
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoonsvanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Put 1 cup of the milk, ½ cup of the half & half, the sugar, and the cocoa in a nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a simmer, over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat. Make sure it doesn't boil. You are basically wanting to dissolve the sugar and cocoa powder into the milk and half & half mixture.
- Whisk the remaining ½ cup of the milk, cornstarch, salt, egg yolks, and vanilla in a bowl.
- Talk a half a cup of the warm milk mixture and whisk it into the egg mixture to temper the eggs. If you were to mix it without tempering, that would scramble your eggs.
- Gradually whisk the rest of the hot milk into the egg mixture. Return to the saucepan and cook over medium-high heat whisking constantly, until the pudding comes to a full boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, and continue whisking until thick, about 2 or 3 minutes more.
- Pour the pudding into 6 small cups. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or ideally overnight until set.
- Serve with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of WhiteWave Foods. The opinions and text are all mine.