{Tutorial} Chalkboard Menu

UPDATE //

I have since redone my chalkboard menu now that I have a Silhouette and this is what the final menu now looks like…

Sooooo much better!! Below you will find the orininal tutorial on how to make a chalkboard menu for your family.

The other day I was reading Jen’s post from Tatertots & Jell-o about her lovely Chalkboard Chargers and it got me thinking.

thanksgiving plate

I have a beautiful black armoire in my kitchen that was screaming for some chalkboard treatment.

WB 010

Can’t you just see it?  A lovely menu board on the side!  So I got to work.  First I washed the side to prep it for the paint.  I then taped off the section that was going to be my work space.

WB 012

Now we are ready to paint!

WB 021

I used Rust-Oleum black chalkboard paint, and a small smooth surface roller. I painted three coats and let it cure for three days.

WB 027

On the third day I cut vinyl lettering on my Cricut, (I used the Doodletype cartridge) and applied it to the surface before I seasoned the chalkboard.

WB 058

Next, and very important, you must season your new chalkboard.  To do that, all you need to do is take a piece of chalk, lay it on it’s side, and gently color the entire surface of the board.

WB 062

Erase the chalk and voila, your new chalkboard is ready to use.

WB 069

Comments

1. CandaceAshley says

I need this for my husband! He is always asking two and three times, what are we having this week, or tonight. GREAT idea! Thanks!

2. Tricia says

I just painted the top of our chest freezer with chalkboard paint to label everything inside…and I have leftover paint. This is a great idea. I just have to find something to paint. This my husband will care if I paint over a window? (Kidding, of course)

3. Mama K says

That looks awesome!! At first I was like "No! Don't do anything to that beautiful black armoire!" But it turned out fantastic and looks classy!

4. Caroline @ chocolate and carrots says

I'm definitely doing this. Do you know of where I can purchase the vinyl decals for my menu board?

5. Angela says

Must figure out where to do this! Thinking I might use the end of a kitchen cabinet but paint a separate piece and attach it in case someone else who lives here one day isn't a menu-planner!

6. Decorating Ideas says

Great idea! I don't know how many times I answer the question, "Mom, what's for dinner"! Can you also give us a tutorial on how to write as beautifully as you do? Please?

7. Candice says

Love this idea! I always have a problem with the back and sides of a wardrobe/bookcase/cabinet when it's not pressed up against a wall. What a fun way to dress it up and make it functional!

I LOVE THIS!!!  This will be my next project!  FYI – I know it sounds silly, but if you want to clean your chalkboard to "like new" surface, use Coke (or Diet Coke)!  I am not kidding, put it on a washcloth and wipe! When it dries it won't be sticky or anything BUT CLEAN!  This is my favorite cleaning secret… just had to share :)

I just found this through Pinterest — v. nice!! Also wondering about the markers — what are they called, and where can I get them? Regular chalk on a chalkboard gives me the chills, but I love these chalkboard ideas.

Thanks! The markers are called Chalk Ink Wet Wipe Markers. I found them at Michaels, but I had to ask for them at the checkout counter. They keep them locked up for some reason. I LOVE them!!
      kisses
      heather

10. Amanda says

This may be a silly question, but since I do not have a Cricut and will have to borrow my sister’s, I would like to know how you got the letter cutouts on the circles?

11. Charla Lane says

Hey heather, what font did you use on your silhouette updated version? I am on coat one of my FAB new Chalkboard calendar and want to cut my vinyl…p.s. NO where in this tutorial do you explain how hard it is to WAIT to write on it!!! LOL :)

soooooo true!! A clean chalkboard just begs to be written on! The words that I used for the updated version are actually in the silhouette store. Just search for days of the week and you'll run across them. Let me know how it turns out!! kisses heather

• Tommi says

Ladies, I do not own a silhouette :(. Could either of you cut the vinyl for me for a price? I looked on etsy but could not find any to order. I already have the board made but it is blank with no days yet! Please help.

12. alisa says

Hi! LOVE your menu chalkboard and am trying to recreate it. Any chance you can tell me how many inches your “menu” letters are (the older version in doodletype) as well as how many inches your circles are around the weekday letters? THANKS!

13. Heather says

HI Heather,

I loved this chalkboard idea on Pinterest and got all the supplies that I could find. The space I have is significantly smaller than yours and my Michael’s only had spray paint chalk board paint. The lady at the store said it would work fine. Now my only problem is the vinyl lettering. I love the look of it, but don’t have a silhouette or a cricut. What would you recommend. Thanks for posting such a great DIY!

Heather
    Miami, FL.

It is truly a great and useful piece of info.

I am glad that you shared this helpful info with us.
    Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

1. [...] A DIY chalkboard.  I have a magnetic notepad I used to keep on the fridge that helped me remember what I had planned for the week.  Now, I enjoy clutter free fridge doors.  I have a wall next to the fridge which is looking pretty bare.  This would be amazing!  Check out the tutorial here. [...]