This post brought to you by Silk // Everywhere you turn these days it seems like we are finding more and more foods that are creating havoc with our bodies. I have so many friends that have chosen to go gluten free either because of health issues or by choice. Many of them have also needed to go dairy free as well. My heaven friends… what can you enjoy? Recently I decided to create a recipe for a friend who is just that, gluten and dairy free. I thought a lovely blueberry lemon overnight French toast would be great, paired with a creamy blueberry lemon sauce.
I know what you are thinking… None of that sounds gluten or dairy free, but it is! And it’s heavenly! I made a few swaps from your typical overnight French toast recipe. I used gluten & dairy free bread, Silk Soy Milk, & honey instead of sugar. Then I jazzed it up with some frozen blueberries and lemon…
I love using Silk Soy Milk, I have actually been using it off and on for years with my cereal in the morning. I LOVE the flavor of the Vanilla Silk! It just makes my breakfast feel extra indulgent without the added guilt.
Did you know that Silk Soy Milk is a Non-GMO product, it’s high in protein, 100% free of cholesterol, low in saturated fats and it has more calcium and vitamin D than milk. Yea, it’s kind of fabulous!
I decided that my favorite Vanilla Silk would be a perfect start to my super overnight French toast. Here’s how I made it…
I started with eggs…
Then I added the Vanilla Silk…
Next, came the lemon zest, citric acid, honey, vanilla & salt. I whisked this really well with a wire whisk.
I sprayed a 9×13 dish with cooking spray and then tore up the loaf of gluten free bread…
No need to be pretty here, I actually like the rustic look of the torn bread. Then I added the frozen blueberries and mixed it in with the bread…
All you need to do at this point is to pour your Silk & egg mixture over the blueberries and bread…
Using a spoon, push any of the dry bread down in to the egg mixture and then cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning take your overnight French toast out of the fridge and let stand for 30 minutes. Pre-heat the oven to 350˚. Remove the plastic wrap and replace with foil, place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove the foil and return to the oven for an additional 30 minutes.
Remove from the oven once it has fully set and is slightly brown on top. If you find it is browning to quickly, you can replace the foil.
Let the French toast cool while you make your lemon blueberry sauce.
This sauce is super quick and easy. In a small sauce pan you will combine Vanilla Silk, honey, blueberries, lemon juice (from the lemon you zested earlier,) citric acid & corn starch. You will bring that to a quick boil and let cool for just a bit. Then serve with your blueberry lemon overnight French toast…
Prepare to be amazed, this is like SUPER French toast. No gluten, no dairy, no added sugar. It’s high in protein, calcium, antioxidants… it’s the perfect way to start your day! Shall we even say that it will help you BLOOM!
What are some ways that you have used Silk you help your family BLOOM? Have you tried Silk? If you haven’t you need to visit the Silk Site or their Facebook page to learn more about this tasty product. You will find even more fabulous super recipes like this one to add to your superhero recipe box.
- Blueberry Lemon Overnight French Toast
- 3 cups Vanilla Silk Soy Milk
- 10 eggs
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon citric acid (divided)
- pinch of salt
- 1 loaf of gluten free bread
- 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
- Creamy Lemon Blueberry Sauce
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup Vanilla Silk Soy Milk
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/4 teaspoon citric acid
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of corn starch
- In a large bowl combine eggs, silk, zest from one lemon, vanilla, honey, citric acid and salt. Whisk together well with a wire whisk.
- Tear up the loaf of bread and place in a 9×13 baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Mix in blueberries and pour egg mixture over the top of the bread and blueberries. Make sure that all of the bread is covered with the egg mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next morning remove the French toast from the fridge and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚
- Remove plastic wrap and replace with foil and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool while you make your sauce.
- In a small sauce pan over medium high heat, add your 1 cup of Silk, honey, juice from the lemon that you zested earlier, blueberries & citric acid. Bring to a low boil.
- Combine the 1/4 cup of Silk with the corn starch and mix throughly.
- Slowly whisk in the corn starch mixture into the lemon blueberry sauce.
- Let cook on medium for an additional minute or two until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with a slice of warm Blueberry Lemon Overnight French Toast.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.82